Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and The Bookish (click on the picture to visit their blog). A new Top Ten list is posted every week for fellow bloggers to participate in.
This was an incredibly difficult list for me to write, not because it’s asking about my top 10 books before I was a blogger, because I have only been blogging for about 5 months, but for several other reasons;
- I am a Melina Marchetta addict, so all of her books are favourites for me.
- There are several series that I love which, if included, would make up the bulk of the 10 books, not leaving enough room for other books I love.
- I started thinking about what makes a book a ‘favourite’. Is it how many times I have read them, if I have recommended them to other people, or simply the long lasting opinion I have from a book, even years after I’ve read it?
As a result, I wrote and re-wrote my list, never feeling as though I was quite hitting the mark. I felt like I would be judged by some all-knowing, blogging God who might smite me down for putting a book on my list when I haven’t really talked about it that much or made it publicly known that I like it (shh…it’s my first Top Ten and I want to make it right…plus…this is just where my brain goes sometimes). So to save me from sure insanity (or slight frustration at least) I have put some parameters in place to help guide me.
- I have decided not to include all of Melina Marchetta’s books, instead choosing only my top 2.
- For any series I love, I have chosen to include only my favourite book from the series.
- I am using a combination of things to decide my favourite books. Some of the books on this list I have read so many times the pages are starting to fall out, others I have only read once, but will never forget.
So here are my Top Ten Favourite Books I Read Before I Was A Blogger;
- On The Jellicoe Road – Melina Marchetta
- The Fault in our Stars – John Green
- The Piper’s Son – Melina Marchetta
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix – J.K. Rowling
- The Hunger Games – Suzanne Collins
- Where She Went – Gayle Forman
- The Help – Kathryn Stockett
- Water for Elephants – Sara Gruen
- The Secret life of Bees – Sue Monk Kidd
- Marley and Me – John Grogan